This quote from the Bhagavad Gita explains how easy it is to become lost in delusion.
"If one ponders on sense objects, there springs up attraction to them.
- From attraction grows desire.
- Desire, impatient for fulfillment, flames to anger.
- From anger there arises infatuation (the delusion that one object alone is worth clinging to, to the exclusion of all others).
- From infatuation ensues forgetfulness of the higher Self.
- From forgetfulness of the Self follows degeneration of the discriminative faculty.
- And when discrimination is lost, there follows the annihilation of one's spiritual life."